St. John's history is tied directly to the wave of German settlers who came to the Ottawa Valley in the mid 1800's. In 1861 Rev. T. H. Gerndt came to preach the gospel to the scattered settlers, organize them into congregations, and lay the foundations on which the present flourishing congregations were established. He conducted the first Lutheran services in the Town of Pembroke in 1863.
Rev. L. W. Schmidt arrived in Pembroke in July of 1887. On October 15, 1891, under the guidance and direction of Rev. Schmidt, the congregation that is now known as St. John’s Lutheran Church was organized. St. John’s has had 11 pastors since these beginnings. Rev. Stephen Alles, our current pastor, was installed on Dec. 7th 2003.
Installation of Pastor Dan Kletke September 7th, 2008.
Pastor Stephen Alles & Pastor Dan Kletke
In 2011, the English District of the LCMS celebrated its 100th anniversary, St. John's also celebrated its 120th anniversary! What a joy it has been to serve the Lord for so many years!
The Lord has blessed our Pastors and their work in the Pembroke area and has increased our numbers many times. We thank Him for this increase and pray that His blessings will continue through the Holy Spirit to bring more people into the kingdom.
If you would like to know more about the history of St. John's, please call or email the church office and request a copy of the book "A Century in Christ, A Future in Fatih: A History of St. John's Lutheran Church, Pembroke 1891-1991".